World War II
The battalion was activated on November 1, 1940 in San Diego and was assigned to the 2nd Marine Brigade. The 2nd Marine Brigade was re-designated February 1, 1941 as 2nd Marine Division. They participated in the action at the Battle of Guadalcanal, Battle of Tarawa, Battle of Saipan, Battle of Tinian and the Battle of Okinawa. Following the surrender of Japan, they re-deployed during September 1945 to Nagasaki, Japan and participated in occupation of Japan from until February 1946. The battalion was deactivated March 26, 1946.
1950s & 1960s
3/8 was reactivated on January 15, 1951 at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, as 3rd and was assigned to the 2nd Marine Division. During the 1960s they participated in the Cuban Missile Crisis from October to December 1962 and Operation Powerpack in the Dominican Republic in 1965.
1980s & 1990s
The battalion was part of the Multi-Nation Peace Keeping Force in Lebanon from September 1982 to February 1983, and February through October 1984.
- Participated in Operation Sharp Edge in Liberia during August 1990.
- Participated in Operation Provide Comfort in northern Iraq during April and July 1991.
- Participated in Operation Deny Flight, Bosnia, April - September 1995.
- Participated in Operation Assured Response, Liberia, June - August 1996.
- Participated in Operation Joint Endeavor Adriatic Sea October 1996.
- Elements participated in security operations Haiti and Panama November 1997 - February 1998 and January - August 1999.
- Participated in Operation Noble Anvil, Operation Shining Hope and Operation Joint Guardian, April 1999-October 1999
Global War on Terror
- Participated in Operation Enduring Freedom, Kabul, Afghanistan, December 2001 - September 2002.
- Participated in Operation Secure Tomorrow, Port au Prince, Haiti, March - June 2004.
- Participated in Operation Iraqi Freedom, Karmah, Iraq, January - August 2005.
- Participated in Operation Iraqi Freedom, Ramadi, Iraq, March - mid October 2006
- Participated in Operation Enduring Freedom, Afghanistan October 2008 - May 2009
Served as the ground combat element of the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit from February 2007 - February 2008, during which elements participated in Operation Sea Angel II in Bangladesh. In December 2008, the Marines of India Company provided security for Operation Backstop protecting large British logistics convoy that moved equipment and supplies for Coalition combat operations in Helmand Province. Mainly Nowzad, Afghanistan.